Taking Care of a Loved One
Being in the current mode of taking care of my mother who turned 92 in July and experiencing the aftermath of the loss of a client’s mother, said client mentioned an important step everyone should take before a loved one passes away:
Order the person’s credit report to facilitate a list of outstanding balances. (This tip is usually not included in lists of suggestions one might receive in hospice situations.)
Thank you, Debra Danburg, for pointing out the importance of this.
Other things to think about when death is imminent and while said person is still of sound mind:
- Medical Power of Attorney
- Location of Last Will
- Advance Directive
- Best place for said person to live out his or her days
- Sort through incoming mail and take care of it the best way possible.
- Familiarize yourself with said person’s financial documents
- Help make decisions with family members